Monday, August 20, 2007

Ballard Locks

After our trip to the chocolate factory we headed over to the Ballard Locks. In this area there are 2 navigational locks, a fish ladder, and a botanical garden. The locks allow vessels to pass from fresh water Lake Washington, into the salt water of Puget Sound. Ellie had such a fun time watching the boats rise in the water and then as they passed through to the other body of water.


The highlight for Ellie was watching the fish ladder. We came at the perfect time of year... the ladder was FULL of salmon swimming up it on their way to lay their eggs.



4 comments:

Olivia McCord said...

Debbie, I was just at Haystack Rock today! We need to coordinate better next year:) We had a great time swimming in the ocean. Love, Olivia

meagan said...

After reading your blog I feel like I need some great chocolate~ does Theo sell outside of Seatle? I am so jealous you hang out with the Karens- very, very cool! The tuna behind Ellie look big.

The Reichmans said...

Okay so I am totally jealous that you guys get to hang out all the time! It looks like so much fun. I would love to visit a chocolate factory-I am so addicted right now I have to limit my intake to three times a weeks. I recognized the locks because kacey and I visited there when I came up there to visit once. I felt very enlightened after it!

megan said...

I remember visiting those when I was little and we lived there! It was so fun to see pictures! THe chocolate factory looked awesome as well! We really keep thinking about Seattle- we are for sure coming to visit! It all looks like so much fun!